Tuesday, July 07, 2015

Book Review: Every Day

Title: Every Day (Every Day, #1)
Author: David Levithan
Published: August 28, 2012 by Knopf Books for Young Readers
Genres: Young Adult, Contemporary, Romance
Format: Paperback
Source: Book Outlet
Every day a different body. Every day a different life. Every day in love with the same girl. There’s never any warning about where it will be or who it will be. A has made peace with that, even established guidelines by which to live: Never get too attached. Avoid being noticed. Do not interfere.

It’s all fine until the morning that A wakes up in the body of Justin and meets Justin’s girlfriend, Rhiannon. From that moment, the rules by which A has been living no longer apply. Because finally A has found someone he wants to be with—day in, day out, day after day.

✮ ✮ ✮

(Warning: Review may contain spoilers!)


This book has been hyped about for a very long time, and it has sat neutrally on my TBR list for a long time as well, so when I finally had the time to pick this up, I was beyond excited. However—ooh there's that word—I did not actually enjoyed it as much as I thought I would.

It was okay. David Levithan is one remarkable author. Every Day is so relatable and yet poignant. A's narration is wise and cultivated, with breathtaking insights about the ups and downs of life and love. Levithan's main character is highly philosophical that the book turns out to be one of my most quoted novel. The only thing that turned me off is that, despite what I have mentioned previously, Every Day just did not give me that kind of impression I was looking for. It didn't give me that thrill, that urge to make me want to always have my nose in the book, perusing page after page. It has some boring parts, especially those chapters where I don't see the point of it being narrated.

Nonetheless, there are still some elements in the book that I truly loved. And one of it is the idea of being in a different body every day. Quoting A from the book, "By seeing the world from so many angles, I get more of a sense of its dimensionality." I like that it shows the world from different point of views, from different eyes. It is truly one memorable journey to jump from one person's life to another with every chapter, picking up on differences and patent similarities along the way. I like that with every day (ha!), I get to experience the different hardships of life—the different levels of life. It is what made me open my eyes even more to the idea that a person can be having the time of their lives today, but somewhere, perhaps five minutes or an hour away from them, someone is feeling like their whole world just collapsed right in front of their eyes.

A's individuality is also what stood out most for me in this book. Despite having to live someone else's life every day and never having the chance to have his own permanent one, A knows who he is and what he wants exactly. He never lets whoever's-body-he's-in's personality rub off on him. He can still distinguish who he is and who he is not. And that is what makes him such a strong character.

Diversity in this book is amazing as well. Levithan incorporated nearly every single sexual orientations and race in Every Day. I love the fact that somewhere amongst the complicated romance of A and Rhiannon, I read about people who are gay, "biologically female-gendered male," lesbian; I read about people who are Chinese, African-American, Mexican, Portuguese, Brazilian, Spanish; legal and illegal immigrants, et cetera. Almost every single one is included.

As for recommending Every Day, I'm not entirely sure I will recommend it. Even though it's one of the most hyped books, and Levithan's writing is one worthy of a read, Every Day is just not the first novel that'll come out on top of my head when someone asks for a book suggestion. It is enjoyable, still, but only at a certain level. It is sincerely a unique story, an intriguing one even, something that I haven't encountered before, but it just isn't enough to completely encapsulate me.

✖ ✖ ✖ ✖ ✖ ✖ ✖ ✖ ✖ ✖ ✖ ✖ ✖ ✖ ✖ ✖ ✖ ✖ ✖ ✖ ✖ ✖ ✖ ✖ ✖ ✖ ✖ ✖ ✖ ✖ ✖ ✖ ✖ ✖ ✖ ✖ ✖ ✖ ✖ ✖


ABOUT THE AUTHOR



David Levithan is the author of many acclaimed novels, some of them solo works, some of them collaborations. He lives in Hoboken, New Jersey, and spends his day in New York City, editing and publishing other people's books.



✖ ✖ ✖ ✖ ✖ ✖ ✖ ✖ ✖ ✖ ✖ ✖ ✖ ✖ ✖ ✖ ✖ ✖ ✖ ✖ ✖ ✖ ✖ ✖ ✖ ✖ ✖ ✖ ✖ ✖ ✖ ✖ ✖ ✖ ✖ ✖ ✖ ✖ ✖ ✖ 

No comments:

Post a Comment