Monday, July 06, 2015

Book Review: The Fold

Title: The Fold
Author: Peter Clines
Published: June 2, 2015 by Crown
Genres: Adult, Science Fiction, Mystery, Thriller
Format: Hardcover
Source: Publisher, Blogging for Books **
STEP INTO THE FOLD. IT’S PERFECTLY SAFE.

The folks in Mike Erikson's small New England town would say he's just your average, everyday guy. And that's exactly how Mike likes it. Sure, the life he's chosen isn’t much of a challenge to someone with his unique gifts, but he’s content with his quiet and peaceful existence.

That is, until an old friend presents him with an irresistible mystery, one that Mike is uniquely qualified to solve: far out in the California desert, a team of DARPA scientists has invented a device they affectionately call the Albuquerque Door. Using a cryptic computer equation and magnetic fields to “fold” dimensions, it shrinks distances so that a traveler can travel hundreds of feet with a single step.

The invention promises to make mankind’s dreams of teleportation a reality. And, the scientists insist, traveling through the Door is completely safe. Yet evidence is mounting that this miraculous machine isn’t quite what it seems—and that its creators are harboring a dangerous secret. As his investigations draw him deeper into the puzzle, Mike begins to fear there’s only one answer that makes sense. And if he’s right, it may only be a matter of time before the project destroys . . . everything.

A cunningly inventive mystery featuring a hero worthy of Sherlock Holmes and a terrifying final twist you’ll never see coming, The Fold is that rarest of things: a genuinely page-turning science-fiction thriller. Step inside its pages and learn why author Peter Clines has already won legions of loyal fans.

✮ ✮ ✮ ✮ ½

(Warning: Review may contain spoilers!)

The Fold by Peter Clines is a book that I usually would not pick up right away when I'm buying books, but upon reading the synopsis, I was highly intrigued. And when I fortunately had the chance to get my hands on the book, read and review it, I knew that I was right about my decision to indulge in this book before anything else on my TBR list. The Fold is an adult science-fiction book, and to be honest, I was a little nervous about getting into this because I was worried about how much science I can actually take, but surprisingly, I enjoyed it all and I actually felt a wee bit smarter when I was reading this book . . .

The beginning of this novel is everything that I could ever ask for in a book—everything that'll capture my full interest. Right from the first chapter, The Fold is instantly filled with mystery, skin-crawling suspense, intensity, and thrill. Though, the next chapters are slow at some parts, it is surprisingly not bothersome to the point that you just want to put the book down and go do something else. I also like how Clines's narration is darkly humorous but ingenious, and is interlaced with witty and clever banters between the characters.

What I like the most about this book is that it is unforeseeable. Clines has managed to concoct this catastrophic and vicious conundrum that is very challenging to unravel. And it is astonishingly effective because it is what kept me from putting the book down. Each chapter is enthralling with suspicious characters and mysterious atmospheres. You'll be thinking about this one possibility, but then Clines will always find a way to prove you wrong.

Mike, the main character's, character development is also one of the things that I highly enjoyed about The Fold. In the beginning, he is introduced as a high school English teacher with a remarkable IQ score and outstanding memory, and because of this, he is afraid of letting his brain too loose—he is reserved when it comes to his capabilities. But as the story progresses, Mike is slowly allowing his stupendous mind to do what it can do. He lets it work for the sake of unfolding a mystery that may have the immense power to destroy everything.

Another thing that I like is the science behind the multiverse. This book contains so much science that it truly made me believe that the production of such Door is possible, and that there are actual alternate universe versions of ourselves. Furthermore, I also like how Clines left the ending open. It left so many unaided holes that can be taken as the author's promise of a sequel or a possible companion novel. The uncertainty of it is what really sold me in the end because the book still left me wondering . . . thinking about what will happen next, even after the narrator have breathed out the last word of the story.

For some reason, I am sort of iffy about the twist in the story. It literally took me by surprise, I'll give this one to Clines for that, but I personally thought that it is so out of place. Like, it shouldn't be part of the book, so to speak. There are some scenes or lines from that specific twist that sort of turned me off.

The Fold by Peter Clines is a science-fiction thriller quite like nothing I've read before. It is so unique and so cinematic that I can see it being turned into a blockbuster film. The mystery and the thrill and the eyebrow-raising twist truly has kept me on the edge of the seat and left me wanting more . . .

** FTC Disclaimer: I received this book from Blogging for Books for this review **

✖ ✖ ✖ ✖ ✖ ✖ ✖ ✖ ✖ ✖ ✖ ✖ ✖ ✖ ✖ ✖ ✖ ✖ ✖ ✖ ✖ ✖ ✖ ✖ ✖ ✖ ✖ ✖ ✖ ✖ ✖ ✖ ✖ ✖ ✖ ✖ ✖ ✖ ✖ ✖ ✖ ✖ ✖ ✖ ✖ ✖ ✖ ✖ ✖ 

ABOUT THE AUTHOR


Peter Clines spent years toiling in the Hollywood trenches, working on such films and shows as Veronica Mars, Psycho Beach Party, and Mystery Woman while also writing articles, reviews, and interviews for Creative Screenwriting magazine, before finally turning his hand to writing fiction full-time. He is the author of the bestselling Ex-Heroes series and the acclaimed standalone thriller 14. He lives in Southern California.


✖ ✖ ✖ ✖ ✖ ✖ ✖ ✖ ✖ ✖ ✖ ✖ ✖ ✖ ✖ ✖ ✖ ✖ ✖ ✖ ✖ ✖ ✖ ✖ ✖ ✖ ✖ ✖ ✖ ✖ ✖ ✖ ✖ ✖ ✖ ✖ ✖ ✖ ✖ ✖ ✖ ✖ ✖ ✖ ✖ ✖ ✖ ✖ ✖ 

No comments:

Post a Comment